Strawberry Honey Mead & Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cakes
Summer is prime strawberry time! Pair our 2011 Strawberry Honey Mead with this great recipe from Better Homes & Gardens.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cakes
Yields: 12 servings/12 cupcakes
Prep: 50 minutes
Bake: 15 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350 degrees F
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup strawberry jam
12 medium strawberries
3 ounces bittersweet and/or milk chocolate curls
Bittersweet Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
1 cup whipping cream
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour or line with paper bake cups twelve 2-1/2 inch muffin cups, set aside
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Remove from heat. Let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sugar & cocoa powder until combined. Add egg and vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, beat lightly just until combined.
3. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to chocolate mixtures, beating by hand after each addition. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the edges; carefully remove cupcakes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
5. If cupcakes don’t have paper liners, trim a thin slice from the top of each cupcake so they will sit flat. Turn bottom side up. Place cupcakes 2 inches apart on wire rack set over waxed paper. For cupcakes in liners, peel liners down but do not remove. Spread 1 teaspoon of the strawberry jam over each cupcake.
6. To make Ganacche: In medium saucepan, bring whipping cream just to boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Add the bittersweet chocolate, chopped (do not stir). Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until ganache is smooth.
7. Spoon ganache over cupcakes, making sure to coat all sides. Place a strawberry on top of each cake. Drizzle each strawberry lightly with ganache, letting the strawberry show through. Top cupcakes with chocolate curls. Makes 12 cupcakes.
For the entire recipe, visit Better Homes & Gardens or click here.